An entire video devoted to my little red eye red belly puffer fish! Love this little dude.
Snails need more love! They do so much work in the fish room - not only do they clean algae, but they also eat left over food in your fry tanks.
I have been VERY bad about remembering to post things on my website at the same time as my YouTube channel! Whoops! I got a couple of awesome packages from Bob and Cory!
Betta rubra is my favorite mouthbrooding species. You really can't beat their vibrant colors, friendly behavior, and the fact that they breed like rabbits!
Thankfully the levamisole appears to be working on whatever mysterious parasite my fish were carrying. They are eating again and I hope that they can start growing again as well. I will be repeating the treatment twice more in the coming weeks to really make sure that it is fully eradicated.
Some basic tips on spawning this prolific species:
- They are a very hardy species that is not picky about water quality.
- Pairs or reverse trios (2 males with 1 female) work best with this species. Although they spawn in group situations, they can concentrate on each other much better in a pair or reverse trio situation.
- Removing the female after spawning helps the male concentrate on holding the fry to term. I usually cover the tank as well.
- Let the male recover after they spit fry! Sometimes the female will insist on spawning again right away. The male can literally starve to death!
- Fry are large and take BBS as soon as they hatch.
24 hour update on the Betta rubra and checking out the CTPK and gularis fry.
My poor itchy beardy needed some help shedding! His new coat looks beautiful and yellow :)
Enjoying some sake with the camera man before treating my poor Betta rubra with the levamisole.
Setting up the room temperature white worms from Select Aquatics! Also some bonus footage of my puffer enjoying a juicy red worm!
Oops! Keep forgetting to post on website, too!
My first order from Select Aquatics and I was not disappointed! I am excited to try culturing the room temperature white worms - I'm curious to see how they compare to my "normal" white worms. I also bought Levamisole to treat my Betta rubra because I think they have parasites :/
Whoops! I keep forgetting to post my videos on my website as well as on YouTube! Subscribe to my YouTube channel so you can get a notification whenever I post something :)